DO THIS >> Go to Blackboard and complete the Discussion Module 3 under the Group Discussion Tab.
The Internet is changing the way we interact and socialize. Today 90% of teens are online, immersed in a virtual world that’s largely hidden from their parents. This video explains the experiences of today’s youth including social networking sites and internet predators. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/v/?id=frol02s3b2q4e&w=514&h=366
The Pew Internet and American Life project has undertaken a continuing series of studies of many aspects of the Internet’s effects. Read through the at least one of the reports on Identity and the Internet http://www.pewinternet.org/topics/Identity.aspx .
Discuss some of the following in your posts:
- How does the internet socialize adolescents?
- How have you been socialized by the net?
- Since the internet can have so much power over children, do you think the government should regulate internet content the way that they do television content? Why or why not?
- What is your experience of using the internet to socialize with others?
- How did you learn to be a member of an internet community?
- What rules for interaction (written or implied) exist within that community?
- What sanctions are imposed upon those who do not follow the rules of an internet community?